People of various cultures have been consuming plant milk for centuries. The popularity of vegan milk is, however, hyped over for the past decade. Given below are the three healthy and popular dairy milk alternatives which you can make at home. The first is soy milk, the second is hemp milk, and the third is almond milk. You can find soybeans and almonds in the market. But for hemp seeds, you may look at authorized shops that sell legal cannabis products. If you are from the state of Alaska, you may make a safe purchase of hemp seeds from an authorized Cannabis Dispensary in Juneau.
1. Soy Milk: Soy milk is rich in vitamin B12, potassium, and vitamin A. Soy milk has less saturated fat and is cholesterol-free. Soy is rich in proteins with a balanced amount of carbohydrates and contains all nine amino acids. Follow the given method to make soy milk at home.
- Soak 1 cup soybeans for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain the beans and peel the skin for a smooth texture.
- Transfer the beans into a blender and add 2 – 3 cups to water. Blend it till you get a creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into a heavy bottom pot or saucepan and boil in medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 15 – 20 minutes while stirring the mixture.
- Turn off the heat and cool down the mixture.
- Strain the mixture and store it in a bottle.
2. Hemp Milk: Hemp milk has a nutty and earthy flavor along with a creamy consistency. It is highly nutritious and loaded with healthy fats and proteins. It promotes skin health and protects the heart against diseases. Follow the given steps to make your hemp milk.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup of hemp seed with 3 – 4 cups of water and blend it for one to two minutes or until the consistency is smooth.
- You can add sweetness or flavor by mixing honey, sea salt, maple syrup, or vanilla extract.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth.
- You can store hemp milk in the fridge for up to 5 days.
3. Almond Milk: Almonds are enjoyed throughout the world as snacks and sometimes turned into smooth buttery milk for health benefits. Almond milk is lactose-free; therefore, it is a healthy and tasty dairy alternative. It is rich in vitamin D, vitamin E, protein, calcium, low carbohydrates, and fiber. Follow the steps to make almond milk at home.
- Soak one cup of almonds for 12 hours or overnight.
- Peel off the skin and put it in a blender with 2 – 3 cups of water and blend it until the consistency is smooth.
- You can add honey or cinnamon powder to sweeten it.
- Store it in a bottle or sealed container.
Plant milk is not only the best vegan alternative. Its nutritional value is as the same as dairy milk with zero fat content and rich minerals.