This post is brought to you by Mediabuzzer.
As you probably know, the roof is the most important component in your home. It protects the biggest single investment you will ever make, and getting it wrong is simply not an option. Making design errors with a roof doesn’t become apparent right away, but when you see water gushing over the sides of the guttering, you’ll realise that the gable was poorly thought out. If you are planning a new build any time soon, here are 5 classic roofing mistakes to avoid. Check out bestdelawareroofing.com
- Going Down The DIY Road – If your profession is a specialist field, you’ve probably been called out by someone who thought they could save a little money and do it themselves, only to get into a real mess, which you have to make good. Unless you happen to be an experienced roofer, leave it to those who build roofs for a living. Rather than trying to master this skilled trade, roofing contractors like the Sydney Roofing Company can help, and they are but a Google search away.
- Forgetting Insulation – The harsh Australian sun will beat down on your home, and you should select a material that reflects the heat and the UV away, which helps to keep the interior cool in the summer, while retaining heat in the cooler months. Metal roofing looks great and will last forever, and with special coatings that are rated for insulation, your energy bills will see a drop.
- Skimping On Materials – If you have a limited budget and are thinking you can save a little by purchasing slightly inferior timber, think again! The roof must be constructed with quality materials, and you can’t skimp on labour either. A professionally designed and installed roof will last for decades, and by asking the roofing contractor to carry out regular maintenance, you are protecting your investment, which happens to be where you live. If you are planning on maintaining your roof, check out articles available online for more great roof repair tips.
- Looking For A Cheap Solution – Quality work is never cheap, and you hardly want a botch job on the structure that protects you and your family. Look for a company with extensive experience, and don’t be afraid to ask questions, as a good roofing contractor would be happy to discuss materials and designs all day long. Price should never be the main concern when designing a roof, so expect to pay a fair price for top-quality work.
- Listening To Others – A friend or colleague might tell you that a flat roof is the way to go, yet you are the one who will occupy the building, and rather than allowing the opinions of others to sway you, focus on a design you like.
The Internet is a great source of information and Google will put you in touch with a local roofing company, and with their help, you can look at the many options and make an informed decision. Think energy-saving and ask the roofer about innovative coatings that will save energy and prolong the life of the roof.
If you can afford it, slate is the material that gives you terrific value, and it definitely adds charm and elegance to any property.