To celebrate the natural, solar-powered goodness of this small but mighty fruit, California’s nearly 3,000 raisin growers are hosting an easy-to-enter recipe contest called: “Give Kids Their Day in the Sun.” Through October 5, healthy snack recipes can be uploaded to California Raisin’s Facebook page for a chance to win a premium playground structure (valued up to $10,000), a year’s supply of California Raisins, plus a $1,000 donation in the winner’s name to the food bank of their choice!
Five finalists will each win a $100 gift card and will be selected based on the creative use of California Raisins (25%); healthfulness (25%); ease-of-preparation (25%); and taste (25%). Finalists will be announced October 19, 2011 and then it will be up to the California Raisin Facebook fans to determine the grand prize winner. A full set of contest rules can be found here.
- “Just 1/4 cup of California Raisins counts as a serving of fruit for adults and is a tasty way to help meet recommended daily fruit servings.
- California Raisins are fat- and cholesterol-free, naturally low in sodium, deliver dietary fiber and potassium, and are packed with antioxidants.
- Raisins are a classic sweet treat that is a wise choice for snacking or as a delicious and healthful recipe ingredient.
- Perfectly Portable. California Raisins are always perfectly ripe and require no refrigeration, which makes them great for active on-the-go lifestyles!
- Healthy Smiles. Research shows that raisins contain compounds that may inhibit the growth of certain bacteria associated with cavities and gum disease.
- Nature’s Candy. Children love California Raisins! Raisins are great to include in kids’ lunches or for a naturally sweet after-school snack.
- Fuel Up! Convenient and nutritious, a trail mix with California Raisins and nuts is smart fuel before exercise. Raisin research with 10- to 12-year-old soccer players showed that a pre-game raisin and nut snack provided a more sustained, steady source of energy than a bagel and lemonade snack.”
Visit www.LoveYourRaisins.com for more information