This is a sponsored guest post.
We all buy groceries almost every day so that finally our fridges and cupboard shelves get stuffed with products of all kinds.
Of course, being able to keep them all fresh and edible requires certain knowledge and skills since it is not about just tossing the groceries into the fridge.
Here there is plenty of useful information regarding everything one needs to know!
Is Any Food Stored The Same Way?
You definitely know that different products and dishes must be stored under their own specific conditions to extend their durability.
Some foodstuffs can be kept at room temperature while others must only be refrigerated.
Certain dishes need to be sealed tightly to prevent any air from getting inside the packet whereas the others are enough to wrap.
In addition, storage conditions also matter. Most of the foodstuff requires a dark, dry, and cool place for keeping it correctly. As you probably know, high temperature, humidity or wet conditions are the most frequent reasons for food spoilage in a pantry.
Any temperature fluctuations, as well as too humid or too hot environment, will cause the process of spoiling or rotting.
And finally, some products are more demanding.
- For example, white rice,onions, whole grains, and dry beans are durable but even they must be kept in dry, cool, and dark place to last longer.
The perfect temperature conditions for this sort of groceries is fifty or sixty degrees Fahrenheit but not higher. Otherwise, mold and bacteria will start to appear.
- Bulk products must be sealed tightly and lifted up to protect it from rodents and any pests.
- Pay attention to the pre-packed groceries. Consume them as soon as possible after opening.
- The same refers to the so-called “risk” kinds of groceries which are meat, dairy foods, eggs and everything that has them, seafood, etc. Foods like sandwiches or pizza also belong to this section.
- Take into account that the groceries must be refrigerated at five degrees Celsius or colder. The warmer environment will cause faster spoiling.
- All the cooked dishes must be cooled down first before storing them.
- Also, avoid freezing the defrosted foods for the second time or more often because harmful bacteria start expanding right after defrosting.
If we freeze the groceries afterward, next time they’re thawed, they will be dangerous to eat.
- Remember that heat-treated and raw products must be kept separately in the fridge since the bacteria can get to the heat-treated dishes.
- Finally, make sure that the storage tanks are non-toxic.
Knowing all these nuances will allow keeping the foodstuff fresh and consumable longer, besides, proper storage will protect the foodstuff from spoiling and, as a result, it will protect us from the bad outcomes of eating off products.
Why Is Proper Storage Important?
All of us heard many times that keeping the products under the proper conditions is more reasonable than constantly throwing them away because they have turned bad too fast.
Indeed, there are several essential reasons why we should be more careful with storing what we eat.
- When we make an effort to keep our foodstuff edible and use the correct means for this, we contribute not only to its shelf life duration, we also invest in our own health.
Consuming spoiled food can result in food poisoning which can be quite nasty depending on what exactly we consumed and how bad it was at that time.
- This isn’t the only reason why we shall pay so much attention to how we store our food.
Extending its shelf life by the correct custody will allow us to save some money, sometimes quite a significant sum of it, since people usually cast too much food just because it was being stored improperly and got spoiled too soon.
Such behavior is not reasonable and often it is harmful to our budget.
- Besides, properly stored foodstuff keeps its nutrition qualities, as well as all the vitamins and other healthy elements longer which makes it more useful to our health.
It may seem so simple but following just several easy storage tips will contribute a lot to better health.
Purchase and keep the products reasonably, choose only the freshest products and always look after them while storing, and you will definitely manage to extend their lifespan!