Before starting the window replacement project, it is worth deciding on the optimal configuration for the room in which they will be installed. And already, based on this configuration, plan a purchase — because otherwise savings can lead to a loss of energy efficiency, a decrease in the functionality of the window and a loss of comfort in the room.
The cost of replacing windows is determined by the following factors, which together form the cost of the window:
- components and materials that make up the plastic window: profile system, double-glazed windows, fittings (it is obvious that only those windows in the manufacture of which high-quality components were used will be really high-quality);
- window dimensions: the larger the size and the more complex the configuration, the higher the price (especially for non-standard windows);
- the presence of additional elements: window sill, ebb, mosquito net, lamination of the window with colored film, etc.;
- type and complexity of window installation, additional work to strengthen the window opening, slopes, etc.
You can buy windows for replacement at an affordable cost which will be ordered directly from the manufacturer. This is a guarantee that you will receive a quality product at the best price, but at the same time, you will not overpay to intermediaries.
What you shouldn’t save on when installing doors?
Having learned how much window replacement costs — plastic or wooden — many are trying to radically reduce the cost. But you can’t save on everything:
- The requirements for the quality of the profile system are quite high, and it is not worth saving on it. Reduced wall thickness, thin reinforcement — all this leads to a significant decrease in the strength of the structure itself. For windows of a large area, as well as for glazing on upper floors in an area of increased wind load, this will be critical.
- Choosing a cheaper glass unit is also not a good idea. Energy-saving windows must keep the heat in the room, and the installation of a double-glazed unit without energy saving will lead to an increase in thermal conductivity by 80% of the window area. No profile compensates for such heat losses.
- Hardware is another critical knot. The consequences of saving on cheap fittings are the distortion of the sash, the need for frequent adjustments due to blowing, accelerated corrosion of parts. In addition, cheap hardware kits have low burglary protection rates, so a qualified attacker can open the sash in less than a minute with little or no noise.
Well, and finally, it is worth mentioning one more aspect that affects the cost — the quality of installation.
If you choose high-quality plastic windows for a living space that is heated in the cold season, the key design requirements are: a profile with five air chambers, an installation depth of 70 mm, a double-glazed unit, a glass unit thickness from 40 mm, at least one energy-saving (low-emission) glass. For unheated premises (summer cottages, attics, entrances), the performance requirements will be completely different. The average cost of replacement windows in California ranges between $650 and $1,500. An individual request can be discussed with the consultants of the window company.