This is a sponsored guest post.
An essay is a written work that demonstrates how a student can express his or her thoughts. Essays are written for English, literature, social studies lessons, general homework, and while applying to an educational institution. Academic writers know how to write a college essay properly, and we are going to share with you their secrets.
What is an essay?
An essay is a paper where you need to express your thoughts in a logical way. It helps to learn how to express your thoughts and ideas competently and consistently. Also, the absence of spelling and punctuation errors is a point of evaluation. To write a great essay, you need:
- To get acquainted with the object of the essay.
- To stick to the “introduction, main body, conclusion” structure.
- To show sincerity.
The volume of the essay depends on the requirements of a particular teacher. You cannot write an essay if:
- You read only a little.
- You communicate only a little.
- You know nothing about the topic.
The main types of essays are narrative, argumentative, descriptive, compare and contrast, and expository essays. More often essays are written for the English language, literature, history, and social studies disciplines. The classifications of essays depend on the age of the students and the learning objectives. They can be written on the basis of literary material or on the basis of personal experience.
Evaluation criteria for essays
The teacher evaluates:
- The volume. You should stick to the length limit indicated in the requirements.
- The content. Your paper will be evaluated based on the completeness of the disclosure of the topic and its relevance to the content of the work, adherence to the structure, knowledge of the object being described, and the use of arguments.
- Accuracy, voice, and grammar. Teachers evaluate the style of voice (artistic, scientific, conversational), expressiveness, diversity, the correct usage of the meanings of words, and knowledge of grammatical and punctuation norms of the language.
An important criterion for evaluating an essay, which remains unchanged, is the independent creation of the paper. Direct and indirect quotations are allowed, but with proper citing.
General rules for writing essays
- Clearly express the main idea.
- Make a plan with brief arguments and evidence for them.
- Stick to a logical structure for presentation.
- Check the correspondence of the text content to the chosen topic, correct the grammar, and fix the errors invoice.
General structure of the essay
It includes three mandatory parts, which are supplemented depending on the type of the essay:
- Main part
Note! An absence of one of the essential elements of the structure is considered a mistake.
In the introduction, you should briefly talk about the topic, provide the main aspects, and raise the question that will be answered in the main body.
The body of the essay demonstrates the level of understanding of the topic. It includes analysis of a book, hero, event, or problem depending on the type of essay. The length of the main body should not be less than two-thirds of the whole essay. In the main part, facts that are not relevant to the topic should not be presented.
Here brief conclusions that summarize the essay are presented. The conclusion should be logically connected with the previous elements of the essay.
Phrases to use in the essay
When writing essays, you can use the following phrases.
- I think this topic interests many …
- This topic is relevant for most …
- I think that …
- The topic was described by such writers as …
- Many books are devoted to the topic… because…
- In the novel, the author reflects…
- This idea can be confirmed by a quote from the text: …
- I agree/disagree with the author’s statement, because…
- As an example, the statement can be presented …
- The writer makes us think about …
- In conclusion, I want to say that…
- It can be concluded that…
- Thus, we can say that …
- The author’s statement was convincing evidence that…
An essay is a creative work. To write the essay correctly, show your personal thoughts on the topic and confirm them with literary examples. Your opinion should not be too simple. Make sure that the text is logical, coherent, and correctly formatted. It is important not to forget to make a conclusion that will summarize your thoughts.