This post is brought to you by Aaron.
If you are having a portable air conditioner, but not following the best possible ways to maintain it, then it is not going to work that good for a longer period. Properly maintaining an air conditioner not only increases the overall efficiency of the conditioner but also improves the life of the unit.
Below-mentioned are some important tips those will help you to properly maintain an air conditioner unit by which it can last for a longer period, those are:
- Make sure of the proper place of the conditioner: As the name suggests, the portable conditioner is going to roam around every room, so you need to take care of the proper positions, as in you should avoid keeping it near unclean or dusty rooms. The particles created due to dirt can create a coating on a motor which in turn can cause clogging. As a result of this condition, you will be stuck in mechanical and electrical hurdles.
Also, you must take care of the very important thing is that where are you going to place the air conditioner in a room with a lot of humid surroundings. One must drain the conditioner to avoid the excess moisture that can be created due to humidity. To avoid excessive liquid, you can try to install a drain tube which will help to transfer the water in a bucket until you make it vacant. Click here for information on how to install a drain tube or pump for a portable air conditioner.
- Check your power source: A circuit you are going to use for a portable air conditioner must be able to provide 120VAC So that there is going to be enough energy and power is available to make the motor and compressor start properly. If you have a circuit which is not capable of providing the desired power then there is a possibility that you may experience turning off or a busted fuse or a short circuit. You can buy a surge protector, which is useful when there is a condition of a sudden power cut which can spoil your whole unit.
Taking care of filters nicely: One must read all the instructions given for cleaning and caring when it is the matter of purchasing filters for the air conditioner. Maintaining a filter on a regular basis leads to a longer life of the filters and it cleans air more effectively. It is important to clean the pre-filters in the unit before buying any extra filers. A pre-filter which is situated in the top side rear part of the unit. Quietest portable air conditioner will make your experience much better.
Not cleaning the pre-filter properly may result in missing of the already created moisture near the evaporator coil which will eventually form a layer of dirt. As a result of this, your machine won’t be able to transfer the heat and an appliance may get overheated. Do not use soaps and detergents to lean the dirt and they usually create residue and clogging?
Check for the type of pre-filter you are going to install, as if it is a carbon filter: you need to change in every 3 to 6 months. Use a vacuum brush to clean the rear vents on a regular basis.
- The Proper way of keeping the exhaust hose straight: While using a portable air conditioner, you must try to keep the exhaust hose as straight as possible. In this way, you can prevent the moisture from gathering in the hose and can eventually damage the unit. As a result, it is possible that you are shortening the overall life of the appliance.
It is known that you have kept the exhaust hose straight and short, but still, you must check it on a regular basis in order to prevent it from an excessive gathering of moisture inside the unit. When you check it on a regular basis, you are going to add some extra years to your device.
- The Proper way to store the air conditioner: It is important that a proper storage of the device should be done if you are not going to use the device for more than a year henceforth. The very first thing is clean and drains the moisture which has gathered inside the unit. Keep the unit on the high speed nearly for two hours in order to ensure that a device is totally dried by you. Another thing you can do is you can wrap a sheet of plastic around the device to avoid it from gathering any dust or dirt. Do not forget to keep it in a dry place, when you are not going to use it.
It is not said anywhere that you should not keep your air conditioner in a garage or an attic. It is always better to store the device in a cool place, where there is no heat or sunlight.
- Keeping the exterior cleaner: When you are cleaning up your house, you should not forget to clean the air conditioner as well. Clean the exterior parts of the unit with a damp cloth. You should not use any chemicals or detergent and only the cloth as it can damage the exterior of the device. Also, avoid keeping it in the sunlight so that the exterior colors won’t be shifting anywhere.
- Try professional hands for cleaning: You can ask the professional HVAC service to maintain your portable air conditioning unit as well. There are some technical issues, which need to be taken care of by professionals only like Techcool, which has experts that handle emergency ac repair Las Vegas area. Otherwise, the tips given here are of great use.
It is possible that you are not aware of some problems which your unit is already having, and they may get bigger by the time and become more expensive for you and damaging for your device. So, ask the technician to look at your device and make you aware of other important things that should be followed for proper maintenance of the device.
- Properly cleaning the condenser coils: If you are properly taking care of the device’s condenser coil from dirt and dust, then it is sure that they will work more efficiently. So check them on a regular basis. If they are not looking clean then you can use a coil-cleaner for the same. Else, a combination of water with lemon juice or vinegar, which becomes acidic, can be used. Spraying of the combination should be done, leave it for some time and dirt will be cleaned for sure.
Though an air conditioner is not that much expensive device of your home, maintaining it properly can add up many years and can be a money saving when you are going to use it on a regular basis. So it is better that you must take out some time to maintain the unit and keeping your home cool and take a proper care of the device as well.