This post is brought to you by Mediabuzzer.
Image by prof. Bizzarro via Flickr
If you’re headed to a baby shower and you don’t know the gender just yet, it can be a pretty difficult task to know where to begin in terms of shopping for your baby shower gift.
Especially if you’re coming of the age where your friends are only just beginning to start to procreate. Well, with this guide you won’t need to be a breeder to learn what to buy for one.
The key to a good gender neutral baby shower gift is to think of the mother and child; take all of their needs, wants, and wishes into consideration for this one.
What does mom want? Mom wants to make sure her baby is happy, healthy, and comfortable –and she’s about to be slammed with a barrage of baby-related expenses. So mom wants really useful practical stuff that will save her money. Mom also just delivered another human out of her own body. She’s in rough shape. In the least, mom needs a tiny bit of pampering.
What does baby want? Anything that keeps baby from crying. No preferences, just, no crying. Crying is the single worst thing in this baby’s blank slate.
Important Items to include in Gender Neutral Baby Hampers
1. The Basics
Baby’s constantly use products and dispose or lose them somehow. Every day. All the time. So stocking up on a few basics is most certainly a win. Baby Hampers would not be complete without the essentials;
- Moist baby wipes for sensitive skin
- Baby powder
- Baby bath wash for sensitive skin
- Baby soothers
- Gripe water; if you don’t know what this is for, ask your pharmacist –It’s a cheap way to save the sanity of the new parents
- Nappy care baby ointment
- Ask about diapers; washable or disposable?
- Ask about formula; formula or no formula?
2. Some Suggestions for Mom, or Both Parents
Let’s take a baby intermission and consider mom and or mom and dad, or dad and dad, or mom and mom. Whatever floats your boat, these are for you hard working parents!
- Personalized coffee mugs –they’ll need it
- Coffee –yup
- Spa gift certificate for mom
3. Now Back to the Baby
The sky’s the limit now; if you’ve covered a few or all of the basics, now it’s time to have fun and give yourself the privilege of choosing some cute outfits for the wee sprout. If you go for a humorous angle, make sure that the mom is in on it or it won’t fly.
- Baby sleepers
- Baby sleeper costumes! Yes, yes. Sleeper cap? Why not buy one with racoon ears. Heck, they even make football sleepers. Whatever you do, get a photo–great blackmail for when the little one grows up
- Children’s book
- Song book (because every baby instantly loves, recognizes, and is soothed by their mother’s voice)
- Stuffed animal that’s super soft and nice on sensitive skin –make sure it’s hypoallergenic
- Baby oil for sensitive skin
- Baby bibs; remember, babies are like little drunk humans –they laugh at everything, cry for no reason, drool a lot, and slur their speech so a bib is a must
That pretty much sums it up. While you might be one of those people that like to be a beautiful and unique snowflake that buys something to the left of typical –you can go wrong if you avoid these items. Don’t worry about buying the same thing someone else has, most of these items will go pretty quickly and they can get expensive to replenish over the long term.