I received this movie from Disney for my review. All opinions are my own.
MOANA is NOW AVAILABLE on Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital HD!
“Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Moana,” the sweeping story of a spirited teenager who sets sail on a daring adventure to save her people, starring newcomer Auli’i Cravalho as the voice of brave and tenacious Moana and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (HBO’s “Ballers,” “Central Intelligence”) as the larger-than-life demigod Maui, has dazzled both critics and audiences. The film earned a 95% critics’ consensus on Rotten Tomatoes and the No. 1 spot at the domestic box office opening weekend. Now, “Moana” sets a new course, arriving to homes on Digital HD/3D and Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) on Feb. 21, and on Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand on March 7.”-Disney
My family and I absolutely love the movie MOANA. It is a great story beautifully animated and the music is fantastic (read our full MOANA movie review). So we were so excited to own this wonderful movie on Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital HD!
“Continuing the fun-filled adventure, families can continue their journey filled with hours of extensive and entertaining bonus offerings including: a new, hilarious mini-movie featuring Moana and Maui; an in-depth look at how the people, cultures and heritage of the Pacific Islands shaped the story of “Moana;” revealing Q&A with co-stars Auli’i Cravalho and Dwayne Johnson, and famed animation directors Ron Clements and John Musker; insider access to Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mark Mancina and Opetaia Foaʻi, the trio behind the film’s moving music; four mini-documentaries highlighting the movie’s groundbreaking effects; deleted scenes; a deleted song; hidden Easter Eggs; music video; “Inner Workings,” the theatrical short film directed by Leo Matsuda that spotlights the internal struggle between a man’s Brain and Heart; and much, much more.”-Disney
Besides the movie which my kids have been watching over and over, the Blu-ray combo pack also comes with a bunch of fun bonus features. We love the Inner Workings short and the Maui Mini Movie. It was also fun to learn about the making of Moana, the casting process and more. Here is what you will find for the bonus features on this Blu-ray…
- Theatrical Short Film: Inner Workings
With introduction by the filmmakers, it is the story of the internal struggle between a man’s Brain – a pragmatic protector who calculates his every move, and his Heart – a free-spirited adventurer who wants to let loose.
- Maui Mini-Movie: Gone Fishing
When Maui decides it’s time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways…with a little help from her friends!
- Voice of the Islands
An in-depth look at the powerful influence the heritage of the islands had in shaping the story and how the people and their culture inspired the filmmakers to create this authentic tale.
- Things You Didn’t Know About…
Meet the stars of Moana in this dynamic Q&A featuring Dwyane Johnson, newcomer Auli’i Cravalho, famed animation Directors Ron & John, and musicians Opetaia Foa’I, Mark Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Island Fashion Find out how costume designer Neysa Bove soved the unique challenge of creating all the costumes using only materials and techniques native to the islands of Oceania.
- They Know the Way: Making the Music of Moana
Musicians Opetaia Foa’I, Mark Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda take us on a personal journey through their involvement in the movie and how it changed their lives.
- Fishing for Easter Eggs: Dive deep into the ocean and fish for the Easter Eggs hidden by the animators at Disney Animation Studios.
- Fact or Fiction: This high-energy graphic piece will explore the elements of the movie that are real and ones that were created for cinematic purposes.
- The Elements Of…This series of 4 mini-docs explores the technical achievements behind some of the ground-breaking effects of the film.
- Mini-Maui: Meet Maui’s “Sidekick” who lives within the traditional tattoos on his body. Animated by legendary hand-drawn animator Eric Goldberg we explore how the 2d world collides with CG animation to bring the Demigod’s tattoos to life.
- Water: In the movie, the ocean is a character. This piece looks into how the water is given a personality along with the technical feats of creating a believable ocean landscape further than the eyes can see.
- Lava: The big bad of the movie, Ta Ka, is a creature made of lava, smoke and fire. This piece dives into the challenges of making an animated creature of massive scale brought to firey life by character, technical and effects animators.
- Hair: One of the greatest technical achievements on the film was the animation of the beautiful-curly hair on Moana and Maui. Take a look at the hair-rasing detail that goes into animating each strand adding performance to the movie that has never been seen before.
- Deleted Song: “Warrior Face” With introduction by songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Deleted Scenes: With introductions by Ron & John.
• Race The Wind/Ties That Bind
• Discussing Moana’s Future
• Under The Sea
• Grandmother’s Warning/Legend Of Maui
• Education Of Moana
• Father, Daughter, Boat
• Canoe Race
- Music Video
“”How Far I’ll Go”” Performed by Alessia Cara TRT 3:04
“”How Far I’ll Go”” Around the World
Multi-Language Reel of the song “How Far I’ll Go”. TRT TBC
- Audio Commentary with Directors Ron & John.
Check out these additional bonus clips:
Voice of the Islands: Casting Moana
Voice of the Islands: Bald Maui
Voice of the Islands: Casting Maui
Here are some fun printable Moana coloring and activity sheets to enjoy with the family!
Also, be sure to check out my interview with Auli’i Cravalho the Voice of MOANA.
MOANA is now available on Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital HD!
Visit the official MOANA website