This post is brought to you by Victoria Berman.
Despite being illegal in many countries worldwide, cannabis is the most used psychoactive drug due to its many health benefits. The plant has been around humans from 3,500 BC and since then it is used as a medicine, food, fuel, fiber, and also for spiritual purposes.
There are many studies that prove the effect cannabis has on people with chronic diseases and chronic pain. It also helps to ease the pain of multiple sclerosis and has successfully cured patients with endometriosis, fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis.
Even though there is still stigma in the world about cannabis, many countries like the USA and Canada are leading the way in legalization of recreational use of weed and also for medical purposes. For example, Canada legalized recreational use in 2018 and the legal age limit for possessing cannabis is 18. In Canada you can buy weed from many online stores which are private retailers or websites runned by the government.
The cannabis plant is divided into three breeds: Cannabis Sativa, Cannabis Indica, and Cannabis Ruderalis. The Cannabis Sativa plant can grow around 6 ft and its flowering stage is between 60-90 days. It is best to consume it during the day because it stimulates the brain and gives you more energy and focus. Indica plants are shorter and grow around 4 ft. Its flowering stage is between 45-60 days. Cannabis Indica gives a relaxing effect and stimulates the appetite. It is advised to be consumed during the night time. The Ruderalis plant is generally small and it takes only 30 days to flower. It has low concentration of THC and is mainly used to create hybrid strains.
Whether you need it for recreational purposes or medical use, there are dozens of ways to consume cannabis. The three main methods are through inhalation, orally and topically. It is important to mention that each of these methods has its own benefits and you should always do research before choosing the right one for you.
Method #1: Inhalation
This first method is also the most popular way of consuming cannabis and includes smoking and vaping. People that smoke cannabis have a number of devices at their disposal like water pipes, hand pipes, hookahs, vaporizers and rolling papers. Every device provides different experiences depending on the smoke inhaled and the level of THC in the cannabis product. Cannabis comes in different forms and depending on the concentrate of THC in each one, gives you the experience that is aligned to your need. They are available in almost every cannabis store. The effects with smoking come within seconds of inhalation and reach its peak in 30 minutes which usually lasts from 1-3 hours.
- Water Pipes are not only limited to bubblers and bongs and they have many different variations of designs and styles. They have a water filter which cools the smoke, and provides a faster and more intense high.
- Hand Pies are one of the most frequent smoking devices used for smoking weed because they are small, compact and easy to use. They are available in many different forms and styles.
- Joints and blunts are the most widely used way of smoking weed. You only need a rolling paper and a filter and you are ready to go. There are varieties of different rolling paper types and they are available in every store.
- Vaporizers are the second most popular choice of smoking weed due to its odorless smell and much stronger effect. The vaporizers release less harmful toxins and you don’t have to inhale tobacco like in the case with joints and blunts. As the technology improves and the market expands we can expect many different models which will provide even better smoking experience.
Despite smoking being the easiest and most common way of consuming cannabis, some people prefer other ways that don’t include inhaling smoke in their lungs. Let’s have a look at the other methods.
Method #2: Oral Ingestion
This method includes taking cannabis through the mouth and products include ingestible oils, tinctures and cannabis infused foods (edibles) and drinks. You have to be patient when you take them because they usually take more time while being absorbed by the digestive system. We offer you insight into all of the ways that cannabis can be taken orally.
- Ingestible oils are pills which you can swallow. They are a safe way to consume cannabis and are suitable for people with respiratory diseases.
- Tinctures are usually used by people with chronic diseases and chronic pain. They come in varieties of dosages and formulations and are applied sublingually (under the tongue). The effects are felt within 20-30 minutes and they usually last a couple of hours depending whether you are a frequent or first time user.
- Cannabis infused foods (edibles) are a popular way of consuming cannabis since the 1960s. They provide more intense high than other methods and the effects can last from 4-6 hours or even 24 hours if you take a higher dose. Because the onset of the edibles takes about 30 minutes to 2 hours, many users make the mistake to take additional portions. This can lead to overwhelming effects and that’s why you have to be careful with the dosage of the edibles. It is advisable to buy edibles from a marijuana dispensary where you can see the dosage on every product.
Method #3: Topicals
Topicals are creams, lotions and balms products infused with CBD. They are used for muscle pains, inflammations and topical rashes. You can’t get high with them because they don’t contain psychoactive elements. They consist of cannabinoids which are absorbed into the skin and are ideal for localized pain. The onset takes from five minutes to two hours and it lasts up to 12 hours. They also come in a form of transdermal patches which provide hours of relief. It’s important to mention that the patch’s onset takes longer and that’s why they’re not recommended for people that want quick pain relief.
Today more and more people choose to consume cannabis and because of that many countries are changing their laws about its consumption. Regardless which method you choose you will for sure benefit from this wonderful plant. Now that you know all the ways of consuming cannabis, you can choose the alternative that works best for you.