This is a sponsored guest post.
Are you one of those people who believe they don’t consume as much energy as reflected by their energy bills? You’re certainly not alone. But it is also true that sometimes you’re paying more just because you have faulty wiring or faulty appliances at home. You need to check them and fix them as soon as possible to start paying less. You can also get a free energy comparison at simply switch.
We all know that inappropriate or loose wiring is dangerous. It is the major reason for power fluctuations and electrical fires. Even so, we continue to overload sockets and extension leads and make do with wobbly or broken sockets and plugs. There are consumers who, quite rightly, have a healthy fear of touching the electric, but bizarrely, are happy to take the risk of fire or electrocution rather than pay the charges for the expertise of a qualified electrician. It is false economy. Faulty wiring is the leading cause of overconsumption of energy not only house fires.
Faulty home appliances are another major contributor to energy bills. Most of the commonly used home appliances such as a dishwasher or a washing machine and tumble dryer or an electric oven consume a good chunk of energy.
It is useful to have at least an idea of the average consumption of energy by each appliance. If you notice a significant rise in energy bills without any increase in the usage than its time to get your appliances and household wiring checked. A faulty appliance is often the reason behind the overconsumption of energy in households.
It is dangerous to use any faulty appliance, but if it’s electric the risk is considerably higher. A yearly maintenance plan from a reputable company is the best option for staying safe by far.
Faulty wiring and appliances are not the sole reason behind higher energy bills. Sometimes there are faults with the meter that are resulting in high energy bills without the energy consumption. Detecting a faulty meter is very easy. Simply switch off the main supply of electricity in the house and then monitor the meter.
If the meter is still going up despite the main electricity is switched off then your meter is faulty. Immediately call your energy supplier and get it fixed. You can also use the evidence and technician confirmation letter for rectifying high energy bills due to faulty meter.
Something to Consider
While it certainly makes sense to check and correct faulty meter and faulty wiring to avoid wasting energy, you should seriously think of checking your energy bill more carefully. Surveys show that more than 15% of households have never considered switching their energy supplier, which also means that they are – mostly unknowingly – paying more than what they should. To know if there is a better package available, you can always use a popular site like https://www.simplyswitch.com/, where you can compare plans and find something that ‘fits the bill’ perfectly.
Being a homeowner means being constantly aware of your energy expenditure and any sudden increases in consumption should be investigated. Employing a qualified electrician to check over your home’s electrical wiring so that the lighting, plugs and sockets and not just the appliances are safe and working at optimal could, in the end, prove cost-effective.