These baby safety tips and giveaway prizes are provided by MAM and ergoPouch.
As parents, nothing is more important to us than the safety of our MAM babies. In observance of #NationalBabySafetyMonth @MAMbabyUSA is posting safety tips to help raise awareness of key things we can all do to protect our babies.
- Strap in for Safety. Did you know that falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries in children ages 0 to 19? Daily about 8,000 children in the US visit the emergency rooms for fall-related injuries. This September, JPMA is focusing on strap safety! Safety belts and straps should always be used when available, whether it’s on the go, in the car, and even at home. Visit www.babysafetymonth.org to learn more about how to create a safe environment for your child!
- Always place baby to sleep on their backs. A recent study by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that about 2 in 10 babies are placed to sleep in incorrect positions that greatly increase the risk of SIDS.
Babies should *always* be placed to sleep on their backs. Placing babies to sleep on their sides is just as dangerous as placing babies to sleep on their stomachs, since they are likely to roll over on to their stomachs while sleeping.
- Consider pacifier usage when placing baby down for sleep and remember that the pacifier may not be reinserted once baby falls asleep.Pacifier use is shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. MAM supports the AAP published guidelines for pacifier usage. Check them out here:http://bit.ly/AAPInfantSleepSafety
Read more here if you’re interested in more information about pacifiers and how they reduce the risk of SIDS:
- Before placing a pacifier in baby’s mouth, check to see if there is any damage or signs of weakness. Pull the nipple in all directions and throw away the pacifier at the first sign of damage or weakness. Pay extra attention to your child’s pacifier as teeth emerge, which can occur as early as 1 month. Be sure to replace your baby’s pacifier frequently – once a month or every two months.
- Always monitor your baby’s body temperature. Your baby could be too hot if you notice sweating, damp hair, flushed cheeks, heat rash and rapid breathing. One of the best ways to ensure your baby can regulate their body temperature while they’re asleep is to dress them in natural fibers like cotton, bamboo and merino.
@ErgoPouch (pictured) is a great choice when it comes to correctly dressing your baby for sleep. The correct, tog (warmth)-rated swaddle or wearable sleep bag/suit will allow you to not use blankets, which can place babies at risk of SIDS. You can see the complete ergoPouch collection at www.ergopouch.com.
- Ensure that your baby’s crib meets CPSC standards and that everything in your nursery is free of harmful chemicals and toxins. Check that the crib of your choice is not on the CPSC recall list, here: http://bit.ly/cpscCribRecalls. Just as important is ensuring that your baby’s crib is placed away from (1) windows, where drafts and sunlight can put your baby at risk, and (2) drapes/blinds, which are strangulation hazards.
Also, check out these Infant Blanks that are perfect for personalized baby gifts.
Our friends at @Micuna_Usa (pictured) offer a collection of safe, stylish cribs made of sustainable materials like solid Beech Wood. Check out their wide variety of cribs here:
- Place baby to sleep on a firm mattress covered by a fitted sheet that meets current safety standards. Remove ALL soft objects from the crib: bumper pads, blankets, pillows and stuffed toys. A recent study by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that almost 15% of babies are placed on non-recommended sleep surfaces each night while over 90% of babies have loose, soft objects in their cribs that pose suffocation risks. Please make sure to carefully check your baby’s sleep environment for these dangers to protect their safety.
Looking for a great, breathable crib mattress? Our friends at @Newton (pictured) make Greenguard Gold Certified breathable, washable and recyclable crib mattresses that are specially designed for baby’s health, safety and comfort. The innovative design allows air to flow freely for optimal breathability and temperature regulation. Check them out here http://www.newtonbaby.com/
- The SIDS institute says give your baby plenty of interactive tummy time. This should never be in a bed, a good place for this is on the floor. Never leave baby on their stomach unattended. Play with baby as he/she does baby push-ups.
@Gathre offers a great selection of wipeable, waterproof bonded leather mats — functional pieces that appeal to the modern mom’s personal aesthetic. Choose the perfect mat for playtime with baby at www.gathre.com!
- MAM pacifiers come in four sizes: newborn, 0-6, 6+ and 16+.
Each size was developed with pediatric dentists and developmental psychologists to provide your baby with the ideal pacifier at each age and stage.
These sizes are recommendations for your baby’s maximum comfort and safety; if your baby likes a MAM pacifier that is not the ideal size for his or her age, not to worry! It is still safe to use as long as all other safety guidelines http://bit.ly/mampacifiersafety are followed.
MAM combines technological innovation, medical function and contemporary design to develop superior baby care products that support a baby’s development from day one. Since MAM developed its first pacifier in Vienna in 1976, it has evolved to become a global authority on baby care product design and quality. Today MAM products are used by families in over 60 countries and on six continents. To find out more and viewMAM’s baby care range of award-winning pacifiers, bottles, cups, teethers, oral care items, coordinating accessories and gift sets visit www.mambaby.com.
The ergoCocoon ‘no origami’ baby swaddle sleep bags are designed to be both easy to use and difficult to escape from. The simple zip up design will keep baby snug and securely swaddled without the need for complicated wrapping. Made from skin-friendly, breathable organic cotton for superior comfort, the ergoCocoon is acknowledged as ‘hip-healthy’ by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute for its ergonomically designed bell shaped bottom which provides extra leg room for healthy hips. For those bubs that like a little more freedom or are ready to transition out of a swaddle, the ergoCocoon has poppers in the armholes that can be used to convert from a swaddle to a sleeping bag. Tog rated for warmth, there is an ergoPouch swaddle to suit every season. For more information visit ergopouch.com.
One lucky Bragging Mommy Reader will win a $50 MAM Gift Pack & and an ergoPouch ergoCocoon swaddle to sleep bag!
(The MAM pack will include a variety of MAM products (Perfect Pacifiers, bottles, teethers, drinking cups and/or oral care items).
Enter via the giveaway widget below.